Tuesday, March 2, 2010

ow.

HELLOOO March.

March is a great month. We got MARCH MADNESS, St. Patricks day, spring training for baseball...and hopefully I will be able to run outside regularly before this month is over. For the time being, I am still indoors. You want to know what running on a treadmill for a month and a half gives you?? Shin splints. Thats right, Bonnie and Clyde have returned.

Bonnie and Clyde (my pet names for my shin splints) have been crashing the party since my freshman year of high school when I ran cross country (that whole distance running fad only lasted one season...). But I also got them from time to time in basketball and lacrosse. Never in rowing. Probably because I was horizontal most of the time.

Anyway, all of these fond past memories with B & C have taught me some excellent coping strategies. For instance, that really cool penguin walk, where you walk around on your heels for a while. Did that one today after my run. I am also trying to stretch even more than usual, especially my calves. And I have some cute little Dixie cups full of water to give myself ice massages...However, I am looking for more tips/suggestions to help with my recent problem, because in the past the only way I can totally get rid of these two is to stop working out for a few weeks (usually that was between seasons of High School sports...) Anyone got any good tips for me or am I doomed to run like a grandma the rest of my days??

Happy month o' the shamrock shake (if you are into that sort of thing...)
kv

No comments:

Post a Comment