Friday, March 12, 2010

I am not intense....

I am not even close to the intensity level of some of these crazies out there. Today I was running behind a woman who was wearing:
a) ipod arm band
b) HUGGEE watch
c) heart rate monitor (over her shirt..I dont think she quite understands it...) which was attached to a watch on her other wrist (at least I think thats why she was wearing 2 watches)
d) a CamelBak. With the hose thingies going into her mouth. So she could drink and run.
e) Fanny pack butt thing.
f) Hat, intense jacket, sun glasses, intense spandex, all Nike of course.

I on the other hand tend to run with my ipod. Annnnd my keys tied to my shoelace. Thats about it. I don't understand why it is necessary to hook yourself up to 294839 contraptions to run. I get the heart rate monitor, we were required to buy one for crew last year and I get that it helps you see how hard your body is working. But I don't even like wearing that. It gets all sweaty and slides all up and down and I think that that would be one more thing to distract me.

I guess I just like working out to work out. I feel great when I'm done, and I really keep track of the numbers or stats or data all that often. I got so sick of that shit last year on the ergs, being ranked and evaluated and judged based on how good of a day you had. So I like to unhook, set a course, and just roll with it. Maybe this is a bad training strategy. Maybe that woman will kick my ass come marathon time. But all I know is today, while she was groaning and puffing and hitting various buttons to see various data, I breezed right on past her, with a huge smile on my face.

Suck it intense running people.

(ps sorry if I actually offended anyone who runs with 21387492 contraptions. I just have no idea what any of those do. Like previously stated, I am not intense.)

Happy Weekend!!
Katie

1 comment:

  1. You're the cutest. Some of my best/most fun/most relaxing runs have been without any contraptions at all. I never even run with my iPod anymore.

    I do have the gigantic watch thingy though. But I just like it because I have no sense of direction and like to be able to just run and then come home and know how far I went. ;)

    ReplyDelete