Thursday, February 18, 2010

Running vs. Rowing

Happy Thursday!

Just got back from the SERF, did 4 miles at a faster pace, about 9:36min/mile. Felt good, hard, but good. To distract myself, I made a nice long list in my head. A glorious list of the similarities and differences between rowing (crew), and training for a marathon. I now present that list:

Similarities:
-Both are endurance sports
-Both require me to play ridiculous mental games with myself (i.e. count the number of strokes/steps you take a minute OR watch your calories count up instead of looking at the time OR get through this minute and you can stop (Ya right...))
-Both make me extremely hungry
-Both require me to wear spandex
-Both require me to watch the ass of the person in front of me. In crew, it was to make sure the timing was right. In running, its because the girl with the booty shorts on the treadmill in front of me keeps bending over to stretch her hamstrings.
-Speaking of hamstrings, both make me realize how terribly inflexible I am

Differences:
-To run a marathon, I do not have to wake up at 5:30 to row/lift weights/run stadium stairs at camp Randall
-I have so far not puked ONCE while running (I averaged about twice a month with crew)
-You will never see my ass in a boat at the end of November getting splashed with waves in the dark of night whilst training for this marathon
-I get days off on my training schedule!!
-Crew made me extremely sick and tired and cranky. Now I have a ton of energy and am happy all the time. Yay for running!
-I dont have a small person sitting there telling me what to do while I run (for non-rowers, here is a video of what I mean... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JchCj2lcSD8&feature=related )


Have an awesome weekend!!
Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment