Saturday, April 3, 2010

Its a miracle!!

Today I ran 9.5 miles with my cousin, Lauren, and one of her friends, Dan Malinski of Cubicle Dad! This is 2.5 miles longer than anything I had ever run before, so all things considered, I am feeling pretty good! We ran out by Dan's house through some pretty forest preserve areas (there were tons of deer. It was kind of freaky. Do they realize where they are?).

Anyway, when Lauren said I should run for two hours with them, all I could think was: HELL NO. Two hours is a long time. If I dont eat for two hours I usually get hungry. Two hours is four episodes of Barney (thats how I used to tell time when I was little, I would ask how many Barneys until...) I was fully expecting to die after an hour and a half, and I could envision them leaving me in the dust and gravel as I crawled amongst the deer on my hands and knees. But that did not happen. I kept up with them! I did not whine, I did not crawl, I did not throw up or pass out or get hungry. I ran for 2 hours straight and I am still alive. Truly, an Easter miracle.

I really enjoyed running with people. Usually I am an antisocial exerciser, I like to put in the earbuds and not talk, because I don't like to waste precious air on the spoken word. But today I realized what "conversational pace" means. It means a pace where you can talk and run. At the same time. Without feeling like you are going to puke/pass out/cramp up/die. And you know what? I like conversational pace. It was enjoyable and relaxing, and fun! Lets be honest, I never lack words to say when I am not running, so why should that change just because I am! I am praying that Lauren and Dan were not ready to kill me, with my chatter and skipping and jumping and questions and hurdling trees. They were awesome to run with and I can't wait to annoy them for 15 whole miles next time. ;)

I am going to continue my eating/napping/watching spongebob schedule for the rest of the evening. Then watch "The Ten Commandments" circa 1956 featuring Charlton Heston as Moses/God. Gotta love these Valenti Family traditions!

Happy Easter to all!
kv

1 comment:

  1. Lmao! Dude, it was fun! Glad you ran with us! We definitely have to run again this summer!

    ReplyDelete