Tuesday, January 19, 2010

"Number 2"

Ran ~4 miles today (41 minutes). Was it cold out? Yea, it was cold out. Was my butt sore? Yea, my butt was sore. But other than that it was fine. It keeps getting easier and easier, hopefully I'll feel the same way tomorrow when I go for 5.

Speaking of butts, during my run today I thought about something my boyfriend's aunt (who runs marathons and ironmans) told me at Christmas: "You're going to have to train your bowels to go to the bathroom before you run the marathon."

......excuse me?

I never even thought about that! I mean, sure I've had those runs where I go out and 2 minutes in I realize I need to find the nearest Starbucks or Walgreens asap so I can use their bathroom, but I can't exactly do that in the Chicago marathon can I? I mean, they do have Starbucks on every corner which is convenient. But to train my bowels?? I'm not sure how to go about this...Maybe I'll pretend I'm Pavlov's dog and ring a bell every time I gotta go #2. Then when the horn goes off for the start of the race I'll remember to find the nearest port-a-potty. But if it's a horn, then I'm going to have to train myself with something other than a bell...Like an air horn! Yea! I think that's a brilliant plan! When I'm sitting in my Art History lecture and feel mother nature coming on I'll just whip out my air horn and "EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!" it's potty time! I'm sure Professor J won't mind. Or when I wake up in the middle of the night, I'll just grab my air horn at the side of my bed and "EEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!" run down the hall to the bathroom. I'm sure Sami will get used to it after the 3rd or 12th time. Maybe...or maybe I should just use my Jedi mind tricks and tell myself to go. Or as Michael would say, my Spidey senses.

Ta ta for now!
~Alyssa

3 comments:

  1. this is absolutely hysterical. if this foreshadows all the blogs to come, i think i'm more excited about this marathon than you guys are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found this post especially funny too, because its the same topic as 83% of the posts that my brother and I put up on our training blog.

    During the race, you won't have to worry about the bathrooms, there will be plenty of port-a-jons along the course at the aid stations, so every mile or two. That being the case, it is nice to run without worrying about such things, but you don't necessarily have to "train" your bowels. Getting into a bathroom then run routine will certainly help you from ending up like this guy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh jeez, i really hope i don't end up like him! yuck.

    ReplyDelete