Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Confessions...

To the 3 regular readers of this fine blog:

I have a horrible confession...
I am in terrible shape.

A year ago at this time, I ran 4 miles in 27 minutes. And it was not that bad. Less than a year ago, a 10k in under an hour was considered a "recovery day" for me. However, as soon as I was done with my last crew practice, I got quite lazy. I was so sick of working out until I puked that I just stopped working out. I started back up at the end of last semester, because I realized that eating college food and not working out were detremental to my health, but my winter break workouts generally conisted of me playing the game on Wii fit where you flap your arms like a chicken. Soooo when Alyssa asked if I wanted to go run 3 miles the other night, I just about peed my pants. I got through that run, but the first half was about the worst I have felt in a long long time. Ive repeated that same route these last 2 days, and Im starting to freak out...

I can hardly run 3 miles without just about dying. I can not imagine running 26.2 any time soon. Or ever. I know that I have to take baby steps, and not think about it like that, so Im trying very hard not too. Im going to sign up for the Madison half marathon in may, so that gives me an easier goal to get to much sooner. And I KNOW that I am physically capable of running this damn thing. Its the mental part thats going to be tough. I guess I'll just have to take it one run at a time.

By the way, since this is a marathon training blog, I guess I should tell you how far I ran today eh? ~3 miles, 28 minutes. (I contribute my better time to the fact that I was running at 7:30am and no cars were out...)

Hasta Luego for now!
Katie

6 comments:

  1. Baby steps, Katie. One day at a time. My mind is still reeling that you could run 4 miles in 27 minutes. That'd be a kick-ass 5k time for me!

    You can run a marathon. And you will, on 10.10.10. At the start of marathon training, you only need to be able to do 5 or 6 miles. And marathon training doesn't really start until May or June. You will be plenty ready by then. Don't worry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks lauren! I just have to get in that mindset...

    ReplyDelete
  3. A question about the title of your blog...
    Is it "Land Ho" because you used to row or because you are trying to suggest something about your levels of promiscuity?
    *snicker*
    Kidding, enjoy the running

    ReplyDelete
  4. because we used to row. we're going from the water to land, aka land ho!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kurt, tsk, tsk. Always making inappropriate jokes.

    ReplyDelete